Date:      Sat, 12 Jul 1997 18:48:40 -0700
From:      Pedro Giffuni <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: My opinion about freebsd (fwd)

This whole issue reminds me how I started with FreeBSD anyway (this is
chat isn't it ? :-) )....No, I'll better not tell how I went from Pascal
expert and MS fan to C apprentice and UNIX lover.
I got to FreeBSD the long way:

M$-WIN 3.1---->VM/CMS---->Solaris---->SCO---->AIX---->FreeBSD/2.0.5

My impressions were
1) M$ will take to places you never thought you could go, but it ties
your hands in the process.
2) VM/CMS teaches important networking concepts, but..ugh it's so slow
and old.
3) Solaris a typical unix; it's cool...hey not everyone uses MS !
4) SCO sucks, Has anyone built Lynx? Hylafax? What a nightmare, ugh the
commercial compiler also sucks what is this gcc every app wants?
5) I preferred Solaris, but this was faster before I upgraded their
unsecure OS.
6) How does this run all those things I couldn't run with SCO? Why is
this so fast?

The "usability" factor is not really a problem of FreeBSD,  it's a
problem of unix; please note the problems discussed in this thread
involve third party applications. Of the above systems, FreeBSD is the
easiest to install and keep up running, and it also comes with much more
applications in the same CD.

My experience leads me to believe free-unix users are implicitly
accepting a challenge and they end up learning anyway. I don't live
exactly in the "provinces", but I have found new users with a very low
level of computer knowledge that get familiar to FreeBSD, and AIX, even
when they don't master M$-win!
Yes, believe it or not, many users prefer a text console: it's easier to
learn two or three commands to get your mail out than to master the
"secrets" of the point and click interface. The greatest barrier is
usually the language, but when I changed the language in AIX to spanish,
two or three persons came to say there was something wrong with their
accounts (I'll use italian now, itīs more elegant) :).

In all this I have found OSs are like religions; you just don't change
to the religion that offers more advantages now! (remember OS2, Macs?)
People use what other "elite" users use and FreeBSD depends on how many
elite users are convinced to join.

IMO, FreeBSD and the GNU systems will win over M$ on the long run:
mercenaries just can't beat organizations that don't depend on
Big-Bucks(TM) :-).

	Pedro.