Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 1995 09:19:31 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        andreas@knobel.gun.de (Andreas Klemm)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: several diffs for dump(8) to display write throughput and such...c

As Andreas Klemm wrote:

> > Neat!  I like it.  However, we're already in feature freeze for 2.1 so
> > this would definitely be -current fodder only, I'm afraid!
>
> Hi Jordan, well, that's fine. So you take the part to fiddle it in
> into current, please ?!

I've already wrote this to Andreas in private mail:

o  The patch could cause a division by 0 under rare circumstances, it
   divides by a time difference without first checking for 0.  The
   probably best way is to add a `1' there.  It won't change the result
   very significantly for a long-term tape backup, but avoids the
   problem.

o  I vote for /dev/rst0.  This is consistent with the default tape
   device of tar(1), and while the non-rewind device is more appropriate
   for people with large tape drives (DAT, QIC 1 GB or above), the
   rewind device is a better default for small tape drives like the
   very common QIC-150 ones, where you sometimes even need more than
   one cartridge for the entire dump, so the tape _must_ be rewound
   by dump(8).  If you forgot this, you have to ^Z/mt rewind/fg!

--
cheers, J"org