Date:      Mon, 7 Jul 2014 21:22:30 +0700
From:      Victor Sudakov <vas@mpeks.tomsk.su>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating and displaying CMOS clock

Trond Endrest?l wrote:

> > On Sun, 6 Jul 2014 22:32:07 +0700
> > Victor Sudakov wrote:
> >

> > > And no, contrary to popular belief, the correction of the CMOS clock
> > > does not happen automatically in FreeBSD even if ntpd is running.
> >
> > Are you sure about that? That used to be the case, but I thought it was
> > fixed in 10-CURRENT.
> >
> > I haven't set my hardware clock manually in more than a year, and it's
> > out by less than a second.
>
> Check out /etc/crontab and the execution of adjkerntz(8).

According to the man page, "adjkerntz -a" is used to update the local
time CMOS clock and kernel machdep.adjkerntz variable when time zone
changes occur, e.g., when entering or leaving daylight savings time.

Does it to any CMOS clock correction at other times?

BTW Russia is not using daylight savings time, so the changes of
"adjkerntz -a" doing anything useful are slim.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
sip:sudakov@sibptus.tomsk.ru