Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 2019 12:42:49 -0500
From:      Charles Sprickman <spork@bway.net>
To:        peter.blok@bsd4all.org
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Long-shot: repeatable macOS samba share unmounting during Lightroom import

> On Nov 24, 2019, at 10:19 AM, peter.blok@bsd4all.org wrote:
>=20
> The fruit module forces avahi or mdns_responder to be compiled as =
well. A share dispappearing could be due to some interaction with avahi. =
It could be that the combination samba+fruit+avahi and samba+avahi is =
having different behavior.

You guys are making feel like my laziness in sticking with AFP is =
actually paying off. :)

Apple=E2=80=99s QA is really garbage these days. I have a hackintosh at =
home that by some fluke of its uniqueness can cause a kernel panic on =
any mac connecting to it via SMB. Can reproduce it all day. Connect, do =
stuff, and after about 5 minutes idle, the connecting machine will =
panic. Report it every time, existed since at least 10.12...

Charles

> Peter
>=20
>=20
>=20
>> On 24 Nov 2019, at 12:15, Pete French <petefrench@ingresso.co.uk> =
wrote:
>>=20
>> I have a very similar setup to you for serving files to my Mac from a =
FreeBSD server. I haven't seen the unmount problem, but I di have a few =
oddities until I added the 'fruit' module on the Samba side, which helps =
with compatbiloty with the Mac. The appropriate bit of my config looks =
like this:
>>=20
>>  vfs objects =3D fruit streams_xattr zfsacl
>>  fruit:resource =3D xattr
>>  fruit:encoding =3D private
>>=20
>> Don't ask me what they do anymore, I added them ages ago, but it does =
work very nicely for me. You may already have this of course, but worth =
pointing out just in case as it took me a few years to discover it!
>>=20
>> As someone else has said though, this may well be a Catalina bug. I =
am not running that (MacBook too old, and not buying another until the =
new keyboards are avilable n the replacement I want).