Date:      Sun, 04 Sep 2005 13:32:39 +0930
From:      Wayne Sierke <ws@au.dyndns.ws>
To:        Dave McCammon <davemac11@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mouse wheel problem

On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 09:38 -0700, Dave McCammon wrote:

> --- Alejandro Pulver <alejandro@varnet.biz> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > It works for me without the "ZAxisMapping" option
> > (and the same
> > options in rc.conf):
> >
> >     Identifier	"Mouse1"
> >     Driver	"mouse"
> >     Option	"Protocol"	"Auto"
> >     Option	"Device"	"/dev/sysmouse"
> >     Option	"Buttons"	"5"
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > Ale
>
> I had a heck of a time getting my wheel to work in
> RELENG_6. Eventually, starting moused with setting in
> rc.conf(below) and turning off Emulate3Buttons (had to
> put line in with the "false". commenting out didn't
> work) and adding the "Buttons" line worked. The
> instructions out of the handbook didn't work this
> time.

I found the same with my Logitech MX500 - I had to add "Emulate3Buttons"
"false" whereas as best as I can remember it seemed that everything I
was reading at the time was telling me I only needed to set it to true
if I wanted to enable that option. Curious.

At the time this configuration was done I was probably running 5.3 and X
might still have been XFree86. The same config is working now with 5.4
and Xorg.

> xorg.conf sections--
> Section "InputDevice"
>
> # Identifier and driver
>
>     Identifier  "Mouse1"
>      Driver     "mouse"
>      Option "Protocol"    "auto"
>      Option "Device"      "/dev/sysmouse"
>
>     Option "Emulate3Buttons" "false"
>    Option "Buttons" "5"
>
> EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "8 9"
# Had to put this in because default is true!?!?
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "False"
        Option      "Buttons" "9"
EndSection

> rc.conf---
> moused_enable="YES"
> moused_type="auto"
> moused_flags="-z 4"

moused_enable="YES"
moused_flags="-a 2.0 -z 8"
moused_type="auto"

The ["ZAxisMapping" "8" "9"], ["Buttons" "9"] and [moused_flags="-z 8"]
entries allow me to use both the scroll-wheel *and* the two buttons
adjacent to the scroll-wheel to scroll - I quite like being able to just
hold down either of those two buttons to scroll through long documents,
as it's much less finger-strain than lots of wheeling, and often more
convenient than mousing the cursor into the scroll bars which tend to be
quite narrow on my high-res display.

> excerpt from dmesg--
> psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0
> psm0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
> psm0: model IntelliMouse, device ID 3
>
> (It is a Logitech optic mouse.Two button with Wheel)

ums0: Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse, rev 2.00/18.00, addr 2, iclass 3/1
ums0: 7 buttons and Z dir.

I don't understand why it describes it as 7 buttons. There are the
'left' and 'right' buttons, two thumb buttons, two adjacent to the
mouse-wheel, plus another button on top behind the wheel, so that's 7
buttons. But then there's the wheel button itself which is the "third"
or "middle" button, so surely there are 8 buttons on this mouse, plus
the "Z dir" of the wheel. Curious.

Wayne