Date:      Thu, 17 Jul 2008 22:10:30 +0300
From:      Manolis Kiagias <sonic2000gr@gmail.com>
To:        Jonah Sinowitz <jgsinowitz@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-doc@freebsd.org" <freebsd-doc@freebsd.org>, Tim Kellers <kellers@njit.edu>
Subject:   Re: Chapter 23

Jonah Sinowitz wrote:
> Dear freebsd-doc@freebsd.org,
> I use and enjoy the Handbook a great deal.
> I have a question about Chapter 23, "The Cutting Edge".
> I'm wondering why the issues covered in that chapter are not covered earlier
> in the Handbook. I'm new to FreeBSD, but these seem like very basic and
> useful , which should be learned at the very beginning of one's FreeBSD
> journey.
> Sincerely,
> Jonah Sinowitz

Glad you find the information useful!
Chapter 23 refers to concepts that beginners usually will not grasp -
and at that point they possibly don't care. Chapter 23 belongs to the
"administration" part of the handbook.
Most people start their FreeBSD journey by downloading a -RELEASE CD and
then reading the first few chapters of the handbook, articles and
tutorials and possibly other printed books.

At this point, this kind of info may be confusing: What could the terms
current, stable, source, kernel, buildworld, mergemaster mean for a
beginner? Not much probably, as he is simply concentrated on getting the
system up and running the way he wants it. Later on, after earning some
experience, he can get to this chapter and decide for himself if he
wishes to track current or stable and getting deeper knowledge on the
FreeBSD development model as well.

And you don't have to read a book from cover to cover, in  sequence. You
can always jump around.  I do it all the time ;)