Date:      Mon, 3 Oct 2016 15:16:53 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Mark Tinka <mark.tinka@seacom.mu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UDP Traceroute on FreeBSD

On Mon, 3 Oct 2016 14:52:38 +0200, Mark Tinka wrote:
> Can anyone tell me whether FreeBSD is able to respond to traceroute
> packets transported over UDP?

That could be possible. You can verify it by instructing the
traceroute program to issue UDP packets, but it will listen
for an ICMP answer, if I remember that mechanism correctly.
Then inspect the packets with Wireshark.

See "man traceroute" for details. Consider asking the question
on the freebsd-hackers@ or freebsd-net@ mailing lists. The
answer to your question is located somewhere in the system's
network stack. ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany