Date:      Fri, 8 Mar 1996 18:48:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        David Monrose <monrose@caribnet.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: IDE ATAPI INTERFACE

On Fri, 8 Mar 1996, David Monrose wrote:

> TIf you guys have the latest IDE drivers available
> pleasessee for copy. During startup FreeBSD is seeing
> the IDE controller on device wd1wdc1
> but failes init the mitsiumi cd rom

This is the same problem I've been having.  If it's any consolation, once
you have FreeBSD installed (even though you might have to do it by
copying the appropriate directories of the CD-ROM to another partition on
your hard drive or something equally hideous) then when you build a
custom kernel, it will recognize your Mitsumi CD-ROM.  I don't know why
the driver works for a custom kernel, but not in the boot disk, but I
hope it gets fixed soon.

---Jake