Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 2006 14:50:08 +0200
From:      Pieter de Boer <pieter@thedarkside.nl>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SSH scans vs connection ratelimiting

Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
> Take a look at /usr/ports/security/bruteforceblocker.  It monitors the
> system log for failed ssh logins, and blocks the sites via pf.  It's
> reasonably configurable, and works very well.  I've been running it for
> months without trouble.
I've written a similar script which worked okay for the most part.
Probably not as fancy, but a la.

Point is, I'd prefer to:
1) Know why the attack still works although I'm ratelimiting to 3
connections per minute and MaxAuthTries is set to 3 (but if it was still
the default value 6, it should've triggered, too)
2) Fix it at the root cause, probably OpenSSH?

--
Pieter