Date:      Mon, 29 Sep 1997 22:25:07 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: r-cmds and DNS and /etc/host.conf

As Thomas David Rivers wrote:

>  Anyway - at one time, that was my fix... but now it's not.
> My host file has:
>

> 127.0.0.1 localhost.dignus.com. localhost.dignus.com localhost
> 10.0.0.1 ponds ponds.dignus.com  ponds.dignus.com.
> 10.0.0.3 lakes lakes.dignus.com lakes.dignus.com.

Didn't you say there's another domain involved (by resolv.conf, IIRC)?

David, why don't you simply start a caching-only nameserver, redirect
your resolv.conf(s) to it, and look at its debug output?  This will
lead you *way quicker* to the solution about what names are being
looked up than any of our guesswork here in the mailinglist.

A caching-only nameserver is a matter of one minute:

	cd /etc/namedb
	sh make-localhost
	named -d 2 -b /etc/namedb/named.boot

FreeBSD ships with a reasonable default named.boot for a caching-only
server (which also has a bunch of comments for what to do to add a
secondary).

--
cheers, J"org