Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2000 11:51:09 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <vedette@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

Quoting xiao sha <xiaosha76@hotmail.com>:
 [000825 21:23]:
xiao sha>dear all, pls advise on the following if u can.  i have tis query. suppose
xiao sha>an application written on a proprietary language and is running on IBM AIX
xiao sha>server. is it possible to copy the application and run on a pc installed
xiao sha>with Linux?

This is my idea of proprietary: Microsoft wrote the Exchange Server to run
on Windows NT Server. You cannot run it anywhere else. Thst is a closed
world.

In the FREE world, where FreeBSD belongs, there are those good guys out
there who do the noble work of porting applications to FreeBSD, and we can
use them.

In the LINUX world, I am not sure but if they have ported this application
to it, I am sure they will let you know.

But then PROPRIETARY also means that chances someone will be allowed to do
this maybe be remote. They may have to BUY it out first.

So my answer is NO.

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington
Systems Administrator

Love is something that you can leave behind you when you die. It's that
powerful. -Native American proverb