Date:      Sun, 29 Sep 1996 23:24:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        David Nugent <davidn@sdev.blaze.net.au>
Subject:   Re: Timezone

On Mon, 30 Sep 1996, David Nugent wrote:

> Currently, my FreeBSD system runs without timezones, since the
> CMOS clock is local time. This seems to work fine in most
> respects (internally) until we start interacting with the outside
> world. For example, the timezone on this email is probably +0000,
> which is incorrect. And another effect is that a network
> date/time ntp corrector I went to install today is also the
> expected 10 hours wrong.
>
> Yes, I know how to install the correct timzone (just create the
> link). But the problem is that since FreeBSD isn't the only OS I
> run, I don't really want to have to change the CMOS time every
> time I change operating systems where the CMOS is expected to be
> local time.

FreeBSD should handle this fine.  I'm doing that on this box.  You should
have had the option to set the timezone in sysinstall post-install; it
asks if your cmos clock is local time.  This drops the empty file
/etc/wall_cmos_clock.  This informs adjkerntz to do the necessary
corrections for local time clocks.

But your timezone has to work first.  Try running the 'tzsetup' utility to
properly set your time zone.  Then reboot.  (see tzsetup(8)).