Date:      Sun, 19 Nov 2000 06:38:21 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Typo in labpc.c

Peter Dufault wrote:

> > > For the record: If anyone wants labpc tested and kept up to date send
> > > me a card and I'll test it at each stable release cycle.  Even better,
> > > also send me the register compatible DAQCARD 1200 PC card version.
> > >
> > > My former client using a batch of those cards obviously
> > > isn't staying up to date on the OS.  Anyone who upgrades a working
> > > system will be just as upset if it doesn't work as if it is gone
> > > so I defer on the axe discussion.
> >
> > I gather you aren't in a position to test using your former client's
> > cards.. ("former" is a bit of a clue I guess). What are the chances that
> > he may decide one day to upgrade? (e.g. to support a new PC)
>
> We aren't enemies, and they will probably be clients again.  I
> could test things down their on my own dime but it would be too
> big a dime. I'd be better off buying a board on my own but I'm not
> going to.
>
> These are manufacturing test stands for medical equipment that have
> been "validated" in their limited environment.  They have identical
> spare computers, will install 3.4, and set them up and test the
> test stands following a formal step by step procedure.  They don't
> need me to help them and they probably won't upgrade for the life
> of the current product unless they needed to change production
> numbers.
>
> Unlike many projects, this sort is extremely close-ended.  One of
> the things we do during release is to make sure every feature is
> specified and has a test, and I happily go through and rip out
> those features without that.  That's why it is hard for me to argue
> with Poul.

My thinking is that there are others like them out there
using these cards, that are not in 'regular contact' with the freeBSD
community.
If these cards are dropped entirely, then we never hear from them again,
as when they need to upgrade for somereason, they just say "stuffit,
let's use linux". We don;t even KNOW we
pissed off users.
If we have a driver (with the typo fixed)
then at least we'll hear from them if it doesn't work, and get a chance
fix it.. if we do we are noce guys and they sing praise of our support.
in either case I think we are no worse off, and probably better off than
if we delete
the file, and silently lose users. We certainly don't know who wants to
use
BSD in the future for some cute control operation..

--
      __--_|\  Julian Elischer
     /       \ julian@elischer.org