Date:      Sun, 6 May 2001 14:33:58 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Doug Wilson" <want_2_learn_freebsd@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Need snappy telnet service (revisited)

Well, you could simply remove /etc/resolv.conf and that
would fix it - since the FreeBSD box wouldn't be able to
find a DNS server to query it would return right away and
you wouldn't have to worry about it.  Of course, all your
apps that needed DNS would be hosed.

You could also try running telnetd with -u 0 option and see
if this disables the gethostbyaddr() function call.  I doubt
it, though.

But the best way to handle this is to make reverse entries in
the DNS for the hosts telnetting in.  For example
dhcp1.hotmail.com, dhcp2.hotmail.com, dhcp3.hotmail.com etc. etc.

If you can't do that, then build a table of IP numbers
and names in your /etc/hosts table for the hosts telnetting
in.