Date:      Sun, 3 Aug 2014 18:24:01 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Naram Qashat <cyberbotx@cyberbotx.com>
Cc:        Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Ports ML <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Does pkg automatically download INDEX?

On Sun, Aug 3, 2014 at 1:27 PM, Naram Qashat <cyberbotx@cyberbotx.com>
wrote:

> On 08/03/14 15:53, Matthew Seaman wrote:
>
>> On 03/08/2014 20:34, Naram Qashat wrote:
>>
>>> Well, I've been using the command line arguments of "-voL '='", and
>>> looking at the man page for pkg-version, as far as I can tell, it
>>> shouldn't be downloading INDEX, since I do have INDEX-9 on my system.
>>>

>> pkg(8) doesn't download or attempt to build an INDEX at all.  It can use
>> one if one happens to be already available, but not otherwise.
>>
>>         Cheers,
>>
>>         Matthew
>>

> I'm at a bit of a loss, then. While I can't say for sure if pkg is doing
> something unintended, there seems to be something on my system that is
> downloading INDEX without my knowledge.
>
> My usual way of updating my INDEX is using p5-FreeBSD-Portindex to
> generate the INDEX file, and using that INDEX to update the files that
> portupgrade uses. I run that manually, so I have nothing that would do that
> for me automatically, to my knowledge.
>

> Thanks,
> Naram Qasha

Are you doing anything between building the index and running "pkg
version"? I can tell you that portmaster will download the "latest" index
unless you use the --no-index-fetch option. I don't know about other tools,
but it caught me by surpize.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com