Date:      Thu, 16 May 2002 03:09:42 -0500
From:      "Kevin Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        "Patrick Moore" <moorepatrick@hotmail.com>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Clustering and FreeBSD

I think a study of your email address's domain would
answer that question.....the controversy over all the
FBSD servers that run [or *ran*] Hotmail has been
well documented.  Or perhaps you've done some
host lookups at yahoo.com?

In your first sentence you say "cluster of servers."  I
assume you're talking setting up one box to do one
chore, another for a second, etc., etc.,  ?

I moved a small office recently from Win2K AS
on a PIII 550, 128 MB to FBSD on a P166
with 32MB.  No one was the wiser, except
that they call me about network issues a LOT
less often now, and use email much more
frequently around there than they used to.
It runs SMTP, FTP, HTTP, NTP, SAMBA
(not often, that) DNS, TIME, and more
and load averages always less than 5%.

I know where I can get about 150+ 486/33s if you've
got that big of a netblock ...   :-)

Kevin Kinsey

PS, advice to a 'newbie,' to get better responses from the list,
send your messages to the questions list in plain text format,
and hit your 'enter' key between 70-80 characters.  {I
took the liberty of fixing your original for those people
around who are militant about HTML email, and
if you're reading your mail on a remote terminal
without X forwarding, you'd understand why, I guess.
Greg Lehey actually has a *good* explanation.....look at
www.lemis.com