Date:      Fri, 11 Jul 2008 11:19:20 +0200
From:      Jonathan McKeown <jonathan+freebsd-questions@hst.org.za>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Install Linux in FreeBSD

On Friday 11 July 2008 05:29, Ruel Luchavez wrote:

[running Linux in a VM on FreeBSD]

> > Did you read section 10 of the Handbook - Linux Binary Compatibility?
>
> Yes I read it Jonathan, Im newbie in BSD...regarding on my post is it
> possible?
> or Do you have any link so that i could much understand it aside from
> freebsd handbook?

I haven't played with it at all - others (who have) may be able to help you
more than I can: I'm just going by the documentation.

As I understand it, FreeBSD will run most Linux binaries natively, as long as
you install a suitable Linux environment (libraries etc).

The easiest way to do this is to install a Linux version from ports (probably
emulators/linux_base-f8 which will install a basic Fedora 8) which will
create /compat/linux.

You then install your Linux software in the usual way.

I suspect you'll receive better offers of help if you start this process and
then let the list know where you break down.

Jonathan