Date:      Sat, 23 Jul 2005 16:19:45 -0700
From:      Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
To:        James Snow <snow+freebsd-current@teardrop.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6.0 BETA1 if_ath problems

James Snow wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 10:09:48PM +0200, Toni Schmidbauer wrote:
>
>>so it seems things are getting better under 6.0.
>

> Unfortunately, I'm having the opposite experience. My X40's ath seems to
> get worse with each update. Right now it downs the ath0 interface
> at random intervals.

I have one of almost every version of atheros part and I do not see the
problems you allude to; not that you've provided any useful info here.
In general I tend to ignore complaints of the form "it don't work".

> Also, when in adhoc mode it will sometimes spew errors, to the point of
> slowing the machine down. Repeatedly doing an 'ifconfig down' and
> reconfiguring the interface will eventually stabilize it.

Again, nothing useful here.  I just fixed a couple of adhoc mode
problems yesterday that are likely unrelated.  I had a network of 4
machines setup in adhoc mode; 2 ath freebsd systems, one powerbook with
tiger, and one freebsd system with wi.  All were in the same room. I saw
no problems in several hours of testing.  When the 11b station was not
in the network I routinely got 28Mb/s for tcp netperf between stations
(this is 11g).

I am not saying the code is perfect.  I'm aware of a couple of issues
that I'm working on but in general I am not seeing significant issues
with ath devices.  If you or anyone else wants to help fix problems you
need to provide useful information such as the mac/phy version for the
part and the output from 80211stats and/or athstats.  It also helps to
enable debugging msgs; usually at the 802.11 layer using 80211debug.

	Sam