Date:      Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:57:47 -0400
From:      Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mail

Chuck Swiger writes:

>  There have been around 70 security issues mentioned since the
>  beginning of sendmail-8 circa 1993, or about six per year.
>  Recently, things have gotten better, but a dispassionate
>  evaluation of the security history of sendmail does not inspire
>  any great confidence that one can set up sendmail, leave it
>  unpatched, and expect the software to still be free of known
>  remotely-exploitable security problems two years later.

	Would you care to nominate an inherently network-accessible
program with such a track record?  For example: 5.2.1 was released
in late February; there are currently 12 security advisories*, of
which I would consider at least 5 to be part of the core system.
(As opposed to things in the base system, like BIND.)

			Robert Huff

* - see "http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.2.1R/relnotes-i386.html#SECURITY"