Date:      Tue, 6 Nov 2001 18:48:38 +0100 (CET)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?m=20p?= <sumirati@yahoo.de>
To:        brain_damaged@florida-wireless.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: psuedo terminal cannot be allocated error

brain_damaged wrote:

> Hello,
> I have fbsd 4.3 running. I am using
> tera term with the ssh update to remote access the box. All of a sudden tho I
am getting this error when I try to access the box.
> THE SERVER CANNONT ALLOCATE A PSUEDO-TERMINAL.
>
> As far as I can recall I have not edited any config files.
>
> were do I look to see why ?
> what could cause it and why ?
> and how do I fix it ?
>
> THanks
> fbsd newbie

Hi,

you are running out of ptty's (as they are named in short). Those ptty's are
used for every interactive shell you open via the network.
(The name come from the old serial terminals which are nowadays emulated. So
they are called pseudos.)

Try to close some connections to your machine which are no longer needed.

Or add some ptty's in /etc/ttys. Normaly 270 ptty's are defined. It seems like
some programs doesn't release the ptty they were connected to. Why this happens
I don't know. But for sure a reboot should cure that (or kill the
processes/shells connected to the ptty's).

Hope that helps

Marc