Date:      Sun, 2 Dec 2001 10:13:40 -0700
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        joerg_munsch@interface-business.de
Subject:   SCSI CD-R drives

So, I guess I'm paying the cost of not having done my research
before making a purchase.  I went out and bought a nice SCSI CD-R/RW
drive (Ricoh MP7040S) and installed it in my 2.2.8-STABLE system
before reading the worm(4) man page and discovering that only four
CD-R drives are supported.  Mine ain't one of them.

Silly me, I supposed that a SCSI drive was a SCSI drive, sorta like
tapes and hard disks.

When probed at boot time, it is found by the SCSI driver and
identifies itself.  But then the "unknown" device is attached and
nothing further interesting can be done.
+---------------
| (ahc0:6:0): "RICOH CD-R/RW MP7040S 1.10" type 5 removable SCSI 2
| uk0(ahc0:6:0): Unknown
+---------------

I'm willing and able to hack /sys/scsi/worm.c, but several hours of
web surfing didn't uncover any programming information about this
drive.

Anyone out there have some documentation about quirks for this
puppy?  Or, do you know if it matches one of the four supported
drives and I could just clone the stanzas?

Supported:
  PLASMON RF410
  HP 4020i
  PHILIPS CDD2000
Wanted:
  RICOH MP7040

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.com