Date:      Wed, 27 Jan 1999 18:26:57 -0500
From:      "Donald J . Maddox" <dmaddox@conterra.com>
To:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: can't get back to luigi on 4.0-current

On Wed, Jan 27, 1999 at 02:49:21PM -0800, Randy Bush wrote:
<SNIP>
> well, i need the mbone tools, and vat seems to want luigi.  so i rehacked

    Actually, vat works ok with VoxWare, as long as you remove the audio
patches.  The patches fix vat for pcm, but break it completely for snd.

> the kernel (4.0-current as of 990126) to luigi, i think.  kernel config sez
>
>     device    pcm0 at isa? port ? tty irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x0 vector pcmintr
>
> but it is not working.  when i run vat or xmix, they syslog the following:
>
>     pcm0: unit not configured, perhaps you want pcm1 ?
>
> and
>
>     # xmix
>     Error opening mixer device /dev/mixer: Device not configured

    I believe you will need to compile a pcm1 device into your kernel,
and also:

# cd /dev
# sh MAKEDEV snd1

You will have to make the symlinks (look at the snd* section in MAKEDEV)
yourself, as MAKEDEV only makes them for snd0.

<rest elided>