Date:      Wed, 27 Jan 1999 23:21:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/eisa ahb.c

:> >     Bullshit.  You don't know what the fuck you are talking about.
:>
:> I don't know that you screwed up in your quest to fix a warning?  Gee,
:> forgive me for sounding suprised, but:
:>
:> "Matt, you screwed up with your fix that tried to fix a -Wall warning".
:> The fix was wrong.  Wrong.  Wrong.  If you don't understand it, don't
:> fix it and leave the warning.  The warning is there for a reason, and
:> making it go away because it bothers you is *WRONG* WRONG *WRONG*.
:
:Please disregard previous email asking what the bug was.. :-)
:
:-Archie
:
:___________________________________________________________________________
:Archie Cobbs   *   Whistle Communications, Inc.  *   http://www.whistle.com

    The eisa code was already broken, just not badly enough to crash the
    machine instantly.  I comitted a fix that was essentially what I
    believed the author meant to do, but the code still didn't look
    right so I also brought it up on the lists and kept it dog-ear'd.

    How Mr. ignoromous Nate could construe this to mean that I was trying
    to brush something under the rug is beyond me.  As I said to Julian,
    I probably shouldn't have made the committ, but the fact is that I
    not only left the module on my hotlist, I also immediately brought
    the potential problem to the attention of the entire list and thence,
    when reminded, onto the scsi list as well -- the problem was NOT
    being ignored or brushed under the rug.  It had NOTHING whatsoever to
    do with cleaning up a compiler warning.

    As mistakes go, this was a pretty minor one.  Only an idiot would
    come to a different conclusion.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>