Date:      Thu, 5 Aug 1999 10:27:37 -0700
From:      Eric Lee Green <elgreen@iname.com>
To:        vagner@www.timandpatrick.com, Joe <ibjoe@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FREEBSD, Proxy Server, Cable Modem

On Thu, 05 Aug 1999, vagner@www.timandpatrick.com wrote:
> I also have a similiar setup, mine has only one network card,
> basically come out of the cable modem into a hub and just plug in the freebsd
> machine and then point the other machines to the freebsd machine that has
> firewall and natd running.

So *YOU* are the moron making my kernel complain that "192.168.1.1 is on de0,
but was accessed from rl0".  (Yes, I'm on cable modem too).

It's silliness like this that's going to get FreeBSD and Linux users banned
from the cable network.  You can't just put any old addresses out onto a
public Ethernet (which is what the cable "modem" is, basically) and expect the
rest of us to put up with it.

Put another card into your machine and use it as a gateway and firewall. Please.
I'll even send you a spare RTL-based card if you want (they're slow and
worthless for real work, but okay for half-duplex 10BaseT), and provide detailed
setup for how to set up ipfw and natd (it's pretty easy, just a couple of
rc.conf tweaks). Just please quit polluting the public network with your private
addresses!

--
Eric Lee Green    http://members.tripod.com/e_l_green
  mail: e_l_green@hotmail.com