Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2006 08:23:33 -0700
From:      Joshua Lewis <joshua.lewis@familyfunzone.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Replacing windows XP at home.

   I have a hard question to ask and I realize that there are a thousand
   answers to this question.

   I am replacing my XP system with a FreeBSD 6.1 system. I finished
   installing it last night and cvsuped. Now I need to choose a window
   manager.

   There are what seems like hundreds of different WM in the ports
   collection and there is no way I will be able to find the time to read
   them all and get any kind of good idea on what each one does.

   I am hoping a few people form the list could e-mail me what they like
   and for what reason.

   I want something lean and fast but I want to have my cake and eat it
   to because I do want something that is not strait up ugly and is
   functional.

   KDE seems like it is bloated so I was considering Gnome. I have also
   been reading about enlightenment and it sounds interesting. I have
   looked into Fluxbox and it also seems like it would do the trick.

   Would I be better off just going with Gnome or KDE? I realize once I
   start installing apps that I will probably wind up installing
   something that uses Gnome or KDE libraries so I am going to wind up
   bloating my system any ways right?

   Thanks for any and all suggestions.
   Sincerely,
   Joshua Lewis