Date:      Sun, 12 Apr 1998 22:00:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New name?

I happen to like FreeBSD as I consider Free to mean freedom and not
necessarily "with out cost". I concede that this may not be so with the
suits.

If there is a name change, let the name of a specific product change. I
think any name change to the organization at large should NOT occur.
FreeBSD Inc should remain FreeBSD Inc.

I don't particularly care for titles that try to be cute or catchy.
This is a personal opinion. I like titles that convey a meaning which is
representative of the product. Of the titles promoted so far, Mr. Glass'
"BSD Professional" is my favorite.

BSD excels at serving and networking right? Let's use that to our
advantage in choosing a name.

Consider the following "box" products and there titles. These all
display the BSD pedigree. They all convey a meaning.

BSD Webserver - runs with apache out of the box
BSD Fileserver - runs with samba right out of the box
BSD Firewall - runs ipfw or the like right out of the box
BSD Nameserver - runs BIND right out of the box
BSD Complete Server - Does all of the above

We have all of these technologies already in our coffers.

We could include existing O'Reilly and Lehey Megapublications
Incorporates (or SSC in Sambas case) documentation in a box set.

Have fun,	 | Stop warning me about the latest virus. Learn more...
Jason Wells	 | http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/CIACHoaxes.html