Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 1998 20:18:18 -0500
From:      Jeremy Porter <jerry@freeside.fc.net>
To:        Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
Cc:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>, Alex Nash <nash@mcs.net>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, hasty@rah.star-gate.com
Subject:   Re: problem capturing video with BT848/Hauppauge Win/Tv

I've recompiled the kernel with OVERIDETUNER=9
And get the following in dmesg:
bktr0 <BrookTree 848> rev 18 int a irq 15 on pci0:17
Hauppauge WinCast/TV, Philips FR1236 NTSC FM tuner, dbx stereo.

I've added the following into fxtv:

static void TVCAPTUREFrameDoneSigHdlr()
{
        printf( "Got a frame!\n" );            /*  <---  Add this line  */

    S_frame_done_
}

I've run this with -disableDirectV and got no video.
Without -disableDirectV, it never displays the "Got a Frame"
when I do freze frame or otherwise.

I'm going to try and add the printf to the driver and see, if I can't get
some debug output.
As I'm running out of suggestions with respect to what to try.
I also note that I suspect this problem also happens with the
miro video card ("Panasonic EggCam).  I might get a chance to swap the
cards such that I can look at the Haugpage under Win95, or I may just
peel the label and crack the emi sheild around the tuner and see what
its got in there.

In message <19980419140638.A7467@ct.picker.com>, Randall Hopper writes:
>Luigi Rizzo:
> |Randall Hopper:
> |
> |I have been having the same problem for a long time, both on a
> |P5-133 and on a PPro200. I nailed down the problem to some too
> |restrictive test for errors on the status register of the brooktree
> |when it gets an interrupt.
>
>Hmmm.  Pretty strange.  This appears it might be hardware or
>system-configuration related to some extent.
>
>If it's a driver issue, it's likely in hardware-specific portions of the
>driver.  I say this because I pulled the latest driver last night and had
>no problem with it (except for that 2 second tsleep in open() 8^).  Never
>had any problems on any previous version either.
>
>It's unlikely its FreeBSD version-related.  As I recall, you run 2.2.*.
>Jeremy's running 2.2.2.  Alex is running 3.0-current.  I'm running
>3.0-971208-SNAP, and used to run 2.2.1.  I don't think I've ever seen this
>no-signal problem on any driver version on either FreeBSD version, but all
>you guys are seeing it now.
>
>Sounds like it might be time to uncomment this printf in the driver:
>
>        /*      printf( " STATUS %x %x %x \n",
>                dstatus, bktr_status, bt848->risc_count );
>                */
>
>and see what everyone's seeing.
>
>Randall
>

>MY CONFIG:
>      ASUS P55T2P4, Hauppauge Wincast/TVdbx (1yr old)
>      FreeBSD 3.0-971208-SNAP, non-SMP, Fxtv 0.46, latest driver
>
>      bktr0: <BrookTree 848> rev 0x11 int a irq 9 on pci0.11.0
>      Hauppauge WinCast/TV, Philips NTSC tuner, dbx stereo.

---
Jeremy Porter, Freeside Communications, Inc.      jerry@fc.net
PO BOX 80315 Austin, Tx 78708  | 512-458-9810
http://www.fc.net