Date:      Sat, 10 Jun 1995 15:55:41 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, rashid@haven.ios.com, rcarter@geli.com
Subject:   Re: 2.0.5- QUOTAS and install

>|	Second - when some1 stucks with geometry problem
>|	( succesfull install,but PC can't find boot record
>|	thereafter, so one has to boot via floppy), there
>|	IS a simple cure ( RTFM :):

>TIA "FM"?  I don't care that it took me a while, it's just

FM=drives.hlp.

>|	use pfdisk ( or some other utility which shows real
						       ^^^^ BIOS
						            (usually unreal)
>|	HD geometry ).

Once you get FreeBSD booting from the hard disk, booting with -v should
show the BIOS geometry for all drives supported by the BIOS.  The
association of the geometries with the drives is not simple if you have
more than one drive, and sysinstall doesn't attempt to do it.

If FreeBSD is booted from a floppy, as is normal for initial
installation, then booting -v will show what the geometry was before any
disk managers on the hard disk have adjusted it.  pfdisk would also show
the unadjusted values if the system is booted from a DOS floppy and the
utility for installing the disk manager isn't run.

Bruce