Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 21:24:00 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Brennan Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>
To:        Mark Sergeant <msergeant@snsonline.net>
Cc:        Jeremiah Gowdy <jgowdy@home.com>, jamescarr1984 <jamescarr1984@ntlworld.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rules

I do not think there is such a limitation on FreeBSD ISO files.  Why would
they allow you to download an ISO only to burn it to a blank CD if that
was the case.

They strongly recommend that you purchase a CD, but it is not
necessary.  That just helps support development.

Soon I am going to be teaching some consultants more about Unix in a
little in-house course and I think I will burn a copy of my FreeBSD 4.2 CD
which came with the FreeBSD: Guide Corporate Networker's book, which is a
copy of the 1st CD you would purchase from Walnut Creek.

The people in the class can then try out Unix on a home PC and perhaps
learn to like FreeBSD.  Most of the people in the class have to deal with
HP-UX or Solaris so FreeBSD is a little different, but it will give them a
great place to learn.

As for that book, if you want a copy of FreeBSD 4.2 and a good book for a
Windows environment, go ahead and get it.  I have a copy and now that I
have to deal with a Windows world more in my new job it will come in
handy.

Also, to start a little BSD book rumor, I asked O'Reilly a few weeks back
about BSD related books and it sounds like one is in the works and if it
goes well they will want to publish more books on BSD.

I would not mind reading a book from Warner Losh or Jordan Hubbard.  One I
would die to have is a guide to hacking the FreeBSD internals... how it
all works in a well written O'Reilly book so that I can take my limited C
knowledge and put it to use on FreeBSD.

Brennan Stehling - software developer and system administrator
  my projects:
       home.offwhite.net (free personal hosting)
       www.greasydaemon.com (bsd search)