Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 1997 08:57:42 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ApplixWare vs. StarOffice

On Thu, Oct 30, 1997 at 11:52:28AM -0800, Doug White wrote:
> We're drifting a bit here but what the heck ;-)
>
> Anyone out there tried ApplixWare and StarOffice and have any opinions?
> I'm in desperate need of a word processor and don't want to clog my laptop
> with MicroSlop Word while I'm trying to sell it.
>
> My previous experience with the StarOffice betas was not enjoyable.  The
> installation was confusing and some features were broken for the English
> case, such as the SmartQuotes.  (There are no separate `` and ''
> characters in the X font set, but it does have the German << and
>>.)

These aren't German.  I think they must translate into `` and '' (or
the Real German ,, and '').  But you can turn them off.

> I also had trouble with it crashing intermittiently and with
> graphics artifacts and a generally unstable interface.

I find this too.

> ApplixWare is cheap for students ($80!) and apparently has a nice word
> processor and spreadsheet modules.

That's still $80 more than Star Office.

> Presentation graphics is nice but not necessary.  The word processor is
> the priority.
>
> Thanks for any insight or recommendations to forward to -chat.  :-)

My wife uses StarOffice and loves it.  I hate it.  I suspect that I
would hate ApplixWare and Microslop Wart just as much: I don't like
the interface.  It's full of irrelevant pictures which I can't make
any sense of, and it doesn't seem to offer the functionality I need.
But I'm not the typical word processor user.

The German magazine c't did a test of Microsoft-based word processors
a while back, and gave StarOffice better marks than Wart (but it
downgraded Wart because of significant bugs).

Greg