Date:      Mon, 3 Feb 1997 09:48:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        dufault@hda.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Jukka Ukkonen: POSIX.4 - scheduler once more (as you requested)

> Peter Dufault stands accused of saying:
> > One quick observation:
> >
> > > X * 5. The source code must be available for anyone who wishes to have it.
> >
> > What do people think of packaging this up as a user library against
> > an LKM'd pseudo /dev/realtime driver?  I have the skeleton to do
>
> How does this help the posix.4 scheduling model though?  Does having it as
> an LKM still allow this to work "as expected"?

I have an LKM skeleton that includes scheduling.  I have to decide if I like
it or not.  Everything funnels through an ioctl, though it is set up to be
installed as system calls if that is preferred.  I've been thinking about a
dispatch through system calls that is redirected from the default if you have
the device open since I think that works as the best of both worlds.

> > that.  My reasoning is I'd like to be able to have different realtime
> > facilities, for example, process migration to an attached embedded
> > processor that would "fault" back as soon as you tried to do
> > something in that environment.  It also gives you a way to have
> > realtime user or group protection.
>
> Sounds reasonable (and interesting).  Do you have more words on this
> somewhere?

I have too many words on it.  Maybe at the end of the week I'll proofread it and
put it someplace public.

--
Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.               Voice: 508 433 6936