Date:      Thu, 17 Dec 1998 14:14:40 -0600 (CST)
From:      Wm Brian McCane <root@bmccane.maxbaud.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Printer problems

I have an HP PhotoSmart (DeskJet) printer that I want to attach to my
Samba Server.  Everything is connected, and print jobs from the PC blindly
fly over to UNIX no problem.  The problem is during the printing.  I get
about 1/2" to 1" of my document printed out and then the printing stops
with that obnoxious blinking light.

I think the problem is not the print job because:
	lptest > /dev/lpt0

does NOTHING.  I disabled the printer, and sent over my print job again
(Windows 98 Print Test Page).  When I `cat' the file to the port I get the
same behavior.  If I connect the printer to the PC and do a:

	type test.fil > lpt0:

it works (okay, I forget the exact string, but it did work 8).

It appears that the printer is reseting after UNIX drops the Print Request
line?

	help!
	brian

He rides a cycle of mighty days, and \ Wm Brian and Lori McCane
represents the last great schizm among\ McCane Consulting
the gods. Evil though he obviously is, \ root@bmccane.maxbaud.net
he is a mighty figure, this father of   \ http://bmccane.maxbaud.net/
my spirit, and I respect him as the sons \ http://bmccane.maxbaud.net/~pictures/
of old did the fathers of their bodies.   \ http://bmccane.maxbaud.net/~bmccane/
    Roger Zelazny - "Lord of Light"        \