Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 1996 11:02:21 +0900
From:      hosokawa@mt.cs.keio.ac.jp (HOSOKAWA Tatsumi)
To:        nate@sri.MT.net
Cc:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, hosokawa@mt.cs.keio.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: notebook

In article <199602261651.JAA29621@rocky.sri.MT.net>
nate@sri.MT.net writes:

>> As far as ethernet goes, I used to recommend the 3Com cards, but
>> apparently they've changed things in recent 3C589C models so they no
>> longe work with our if_zp driver, and I haven't had much luck contacting
>> the PC-CARD folks since they've apparently have a working driver for the
>> new cards but the fix hasn't made it into our driver yet.

Sorry!  if_zp can drive 3c589C with this patch.

*** if_zp.c.orig	Thu Feb 22 12:14:28 1996
--- if_zp.c	Thu Feb 22 12:15:21 1996
***************
*** 534,541 ****
--- 534,543 ----
  #else
      pcic_map_memory(slot, 0, kvtop(isa_dev->id_maddr), 0x10000, 8L,
  		    ATTRIBUTE, 1);
+ #if 0
      POKE(isa_dev->id_maddr, 0x80);	/* reset the card (how long?) */
      DELAY(40000);
+ #endif
  #endif
      /*
       * Set the configuration index.  According to [1], the adapter won't

>> So, I would go with the IBM Credit Card adapter for ethernet if I were
>> going to buy one today simply because it has known support in FreeBSD
>> right now.

IBM Credit Card Ethenet is expensive and it's not so fast.  My
recommendation is 3C589[BC] w/ pccard-test driver. It's too fast and
it costs reasonable price.

--
	HOSOKAWA, Tatsumi              E-mail: hosokawa@mt.cs.keio.ac.jp
	  WWW homepage: http://www.mt.cs.keio.ac.jp/person/hosokawa.html