Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 2006 16:33:59 +0200
From:      Svein Halvor Halvorsen <svein.h@lvor.halvorsen.cc>
To:        David Schulz <davidschulz@tca-cable-connector.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Users Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Changing Hostname = Reboot machine?

David Schulz wrote:
> i wasnt asking how to change the hostname, but if there are any things i
> should be aware of or have to do if changing the hostname.

You can just change it, and it will take effect immedeately.
However, there may be some server software you have running that needs
to be restarted. But there is now reason to reboot you system (there
seldom is on freebsd).

Also (even though I see you're not asking how to change the hostname)
remember to put your changes in /etc/rc.conf lest you want to have your
changes discarded when rebooting.

	Svein Halvor