Date:      Wed, 4 Mar 1998 20:52:00 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Paulo Cesar Pereira de Andrade <paulo@fiscodata-pr.netpar.com.br>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Damon Permezel <dap@damon.com>, Stephen Wynne <stevemw@northwest.com>, java@FreeBSD.ORG, java-port@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Crashes with Swing 1.0.1 and Lesstif 0.82/port

On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Nate Williams wrote:

> > > Perhaps you understand why I eventually decided that the $$ invested in
> > > a copy of Motif would be well spent.
> >
> >   I'm yet to learn java, but have some coments here. Please, don't depend
> > on commercial products.
>
> Java is a commercial product if you *really* want to split hairs.
  Ok. Most of what I know about java is by listening this list. But I'm
being very conservative, only interested in know what is going on. That
was just a comment/feedback. After this mail I will go back to my cave.

> >   I don't have anything against Xig (they are very friendly and
> >   helpfull to customers), but need to say, their FreeBSD products
> >   are too old.
>
> Too old?
  Hmm, a bit old :) The first thing I noticed when installing it was that
it broke my Imakefiles, it had dependencies on libXExExt (or something
like it, that is known to be a bit old).

> >   I've buyed their Motif and XServer hopping to learn Motif and see a
> >   'Real X Server'. At least on my S3 board, XFree is faster, and
> >   *even* uses HW cursor.
>
> At leats on my S3 board, their 3.1 server *kills* it in terms of
> performance, and is less buggy.  I can also do 24bit color at 1600x1200
> with a 4MB board which I can't with XFree.
  Maybe my hardware is a special case. Before buying, I have tested it,
and saw that FreeBSD/XFree was happy with it.

> > Their libraries are broken, mostly because of the utmp/wtmp
> > changes, and on my 3.0 box, even editing the binary (yes, I did it,
> > because it has a lot of hardcoded resources, and is not friendly
> > to -xrm args).
>
> XIG doesn't support 3.0.  Heck, does XFree86 support 3.0?  I wouldn't
  I like to look at the console and see:
XFree86 Version 3.3.1 / X Window System
Operating System: FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT i386
It does not complain to build :)

> expect any commercial vendor to support a moving target like -current.
> I don't run it on any of my boxes that are for 'general' use, and I'm a
> developer. :)
  I'm not a freebsd developer :( but only runs -current in my personal
machine, at home.

> > I never could get Xsetup -graphics to work, only Xsetup -text. It
> > prints some messages that cannot load some font's and core-dumps.
>
> Did you contact their tech. support about this?  Did you download the
> patch for Xsetup from their WWW/ftp site?
>
> >   Also, in one of the latest CERT's I've read, it appears that Accel X
> > uses a bug in *BSD to get write permission's in /dev/mem. When it is
> > fixed, current versions of AccellX will not work anymore.
>
> Except that they will (hopefully) provide a patch for this.  There just
> like any vendor (including FreeBSD).  When bugs are found fixes take
> time to get integrated/tested and put into the tree.  FreeBSD hasn't
> even fixed it yet.
>
> >   I hope all the problems I had are because I don't want go back to
> >   2.2.1, but will not use neither Motif neither AccellX.
>
> Fine, but don't expect people to spend alot of time fixing something
> that is so broken (LessTif) when a working solution (Motif) exists.  I
> have no interest in re-inventing something that works.  Java is the
> technology I seek, not the process of getting Java freed.
  I'm not asking anybody to do it. That was only an idiot(me) commenting,
please disregard :)

--
If I traveled to the end of the rainbow
As Dame Fortune did intend,