Date:      Wed, 11 Dec 2013 12:23:23 +0600
From:      "Eugene M. Zheganin" <emz@norma.perm.ru>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   ipsec: a weird guess

Hi.

I have two CARP'ed routers servicing gre/ipsec tunnels to another
FreeBSD/i386, running 8.2-STABLE (since November 2011). 22 days ago I
upgraded their ipsec peer to FreeBSD 10.0-BETA1/amd64. Two days ago I
upgraded one of their DNS (yeah, it gets weirder) peers from
10.0-CURRENT/amd64 (March 2013) to 10.0-BETA1/amd64. And (finally)
yesterday I started getting "panic: double fault" on both target
routers. Like 4-5 minutes from start. One goes down, another get in, and
goes down too. I know that technical mailing lists get a lots of crazy
e-mails, and this sounds like another one, but in the past I was
reporting at least two major ipsec issues (and they were fixed), so I'm
not that crazy. These double faults are repeatable on both routers (they
boot in and go down), first I thought that may be they both got a power
outage, and bgfsck is causing panic, and so on - but panics stopped when
I switched off ipsec  and let the clear gre run. Now they are working. I
upgraded one to 9.2-RELEASE-p2/i386, but this didn't help (same double
fault).

Is it worth reporting ? Double fault panic is similar to ones that can
be found in google (only these rocket science numbers are different).
I'm pretty sure it will go away after upgrading to 10.0/amd64.
If someone would tell me that story I'd say "it's crazy and impossible" too.

Thanks.
Eugene.