Date:      Thu, 10 May 2001 11:09:50 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Ask Bjoern Hansen <ask@valueclick.com>
Cc:        Gordon Tetlow <gordont@bluemtn.net>, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: load distribution

On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 12:58:26AM -0700, Ask Bjoern Hansen wrote:
> On Thu, 3 May 2001, Gordon Tetlow wrote:
>
> > At this rate, we are going to nail the magic number of 8 primary
> > first-tier mirrors for the ftp.freebsd.org round-robin. After that
> > the load gets weird with some machines getting more load than
> > others. It would probably be beneficial to use ultra-dns or some
> > other closest hop first technology. Has anyone taken a look at it?
> > or did I just volunteer myself?
>
> For ftp.perl.org (and ftp-dist.apache.org, but that's not announced
> yet or well populated with mirrors) I've made a name server that sends
> you to one of the mirrors in your country[1], or failing that on the
> same continent as you.
>
> If I in some automated way can get a list of mirrors with their
> country and (optionally) a weighting it's very easy to add support for
> ftp.freebsd.org.
>
>   http://sourceforge.net/projects/dinamed/
>

>  - ask
>
> [1] or well, obviously it only knows about the ip address of your
>     nameserver, but chances are good that they are in the same
>     country.

Just for the record (not, repeat NOT, trying to start another of those
DJBware flamewars), this can now be easily achieved using djbdns, too.
Yes, I know people have strong feelings about DJB's license.  Just thought
I'd mention this.

G'luck,
Peter

--
Do you think anybody has ever had *precisely this thought* before?