Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 1997 09:02:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        jamie@itribe.net (Jamie Bowden)
Cc:        aledm@routers.co.uk, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATTN Emacs users; new Zile release

Jamie Bowden wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Sep 1997, Aled Morris wrote:
>
> > In the style of this thread: "the first thing I do after installing
> > FreeBSD for a newbie is
> > 	echo 'emacs noexpand nomargins' >>/usr/share/misc/init.ee
>
> Does anyone here actually get the point that a newbie can't use emacs
> anymore than they can use vi?  I hate ee as much as the rest of you, but
> it's small, and it tells the newbie which keys do what, which vi and emacs
> don't do.

	yes, we all get the point.  that's why ee as installed as the
	default editor.  it has a help menu across the top of the screen.

	but why make them learn ee key-bindings, and then when they
	move on to a better editor force them to learn a new set of
	key-bindings?  that's just torturing the poor unsuspecting
	newbie.  vi key-bindings are not an option--a modal editor
	will confuse the daylights out of them.  so lets make
	emacs key-bindings the system default for ee.
jmb