Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 95 12:09:51 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        a00776@giant.mindlink.net, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.0.5 64 meg RAM limit?

>    In the future FreeBSD will get the information in a different way (using
> special BIOS calls at boot time), but there isn't sufficient space in the boot
> blocks to do this and thus it first requires a 3 stage boot.

Or the ability to make BIOS calls from protected mode, a more general
cross-architecture (less PC-centric) mechanism, if there is any desire
at all to minimize the cross-platform portability dependencies in the
boot code and effectively reduce the amount of assembly code involved
in what is, effectively, run-once code.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---