Date:      Wed, 24 Oct 2001 09:19:37 -0500
From:      Oscar Ricardo Silva <oscars@mail.utexas.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installation of FreeBSD 4.4 fails on 20GB drive

I have a machine with an AMD Athlon 1.2GHz processor, 256MB of RAM, two
ATA100 hard drives (20GB, 40GB) on the first IDE controller and a CD drive
on the second.  These controllers are ATA66 and ATA100 compatible and so
the drives are detected at ATA100.  I'm attempting to install FreeBSD 4.4
but the install fails.  I actually get through the entire install, I see
that files are being copied to the slices I've created but on reboot I get:

Invalid Partition

No /boot/loader

 >>FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
Default: 0:ad(0,a)/kernel
boot:
No /kernel

 >>FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
Default: 0:ad(0,a)/kernel
boot:

The drives are set to AUTO in the BIOS and they're detected as being in LBA
mode.  I have no problem during install, I can see both drives, partition
them, label them (/, /var, /usr, etc).

I've seen something like this before and I even tried creating a small 50MB
partition at the beginning of the boot disk, creating "/boot" on this
partition and then creating the other slices on the rest of the disk but
still the same error.

Any ideas/suggestions would be extremely appreciated.

Oscar