Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 2002 15:21:59 -0400
From:      Antoine Beaupre <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx>
To:        Max Okumoto <okumoto@ucsd.edu>
Cc:        libh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The Menubar (Re: cvs commit: libh/doc/hui hui.sgml)

Le vendredi 14 juin 2002, =E0 03:13 PM, Max Okumoto a =E9crit :

> The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx> writes:
>>> okumoto     2002/06/14 02:40:19 CDT
>>>
>>>  Modified files:
>>>    doc/hui              hui.sgml
>>>  Log:
>>>
>>>  Note: We need to ether decide on a protcol to control the shared
>>>  menu bar or we need to have menubars associated with windows.
>>>
>> I think  it would be problematic to make TVision have one menu bar =
per
>> window. It would mean hacking tvision, and I don't think anyone wants=20=

>> that.
>>
>> However, we can change the only tvision menubar at will. A bit like =
Mac
>> OS does. I know it sucks, but it's a valid workaround.
>>
>> In both cases, each window can have its own menu bar: in Qt, the menu
>> bar shows up in the window and therefore the menu bars can be shown
>> together, and in TVision, the menu bar changes as the window focus=20
>> changes.
>>
> Actually that is what I was going to suggest.  Otherwise we are going =
> have to write some sort of protocol document that everyone writing=20
> scripts
> for libh will have to follow to prevent menu bar confusion.

Exactly. Not desireable.

> I haven't looked at the scripts much be I think we will have to=20
> restructure
> it a little, and create what I call subtasks.  For instance the=20
> disksetup
> code creates a dialog box, but I think people might want to go back =
and
> change things after they start adding packages and stuff.

Yes. What I thougth of doing at first when I wrote the disk editor was=20=

to enclose it in a "widget/container" of some kind so that it could=20
easily be embeded in another application. I could not find that widget=20=

so I simply made that a dialog.

Changing that is pretty easy, once we figure the proper scheme.

I like the subtasks idea very much, it's how I think it should be.

Also, note that packages installed *might* have configuration dialogs=20
themselves, and actually, most configuration dialogs belong not to the=20=

installer, but to the packages themselves. For example, the network=20
configuration dialog might belong to the "network" package containing=20
files such as ifconfig(1).

>> BTW: do you have the Qt menubar bug described in BUGS on the cleanup=20=

>> branch?
>
> I am looking into both those bugs now.

Both? What's the other one?

A.