Date:      Sun, 25 Oct 1998 14:29:10 -0500
From:      David Packer <dpacker@fas.harvard.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Kernel compilation difficulties

Hi,

I apologize for troubling you, but I've spend quite some time trying to compile
my kernel, to no avail. What particularly troubles me is that not even
the GENERIC config file will compile.

I've taken the following steps:
   recent makefiles in /usr/share/mk (as of October 19)
   new cc/gcc (as of Oct 19)
   new config (as of Oct 25)
   and I've re-cvsup'ed /usr/src/sys as of October 25th.

The problem goes like this:

I AM ROOT@dpacker% cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/
I AM ROOT@dpacker% config -r GENERIC
Removing old directory ../../compile/GENERIC:  Done.
Don't forget to do a ``make depend''
Kernel build directory is ../../compile/GENERIC
 AM ROOT@dpacker% cd ../../compile/GENERIC/
I AM ROOT@dpacker% make depend
cc -c -O -Wreturn-type -Wcomment -Wredundant-decls -Wimplicit  -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes  -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wuninitialized -Wformat  -fformat-extensions -ansi  -nostdinc -I- -I. -I../.. -I/usr/include  -DKERNEL -include opt_global.h ../../i386/i386/genassym.c
cc -O -Wreturn-type -Wcomment -Wredundant-decls -Wimplicit  -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes  -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wuninitialized -Wformat  -fformat-extensions -ansi  -nostdinc -I- -I. -I../.. -I/usr/include  -DKERNEL -include opt_global.h genassym.o -o genassym
./genassym >assym.s
rm -f param.c
cp ../../conf/param.c .
sh ../../kern/vnode_if.sh ../../kern/vnode_if.src
make -f ../../dev/aic7xxx/Makefile MAKESRCPATH=../../dev/aic7xxx
Warning: Object directory not changed from original /usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC
yacc -d ../../dev/aic7xxx/aicasm_gram.y
mv y.tab.c aicasm_gram.c
cc -O -pipe -I.   -c aicasm_gram.c
../../dev/aic7xxx/aicasm_gram.y:693: macro `TAILQ_LAST' used with too many (2) args
../../dev/aic7xxx/aicasm_gram.y:718: macro `TAILQ_LAST' used with too many (2) args
../../dev/aic7xxx/aicasm_gram.y: In function `yyparse':
../../dev/aic7xxx/aicasm_gram.y:691: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
../../dev/aic7xxx/aicasm_gram.y:692: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type
../../dev/aic7xxx/aicasm_gram.y:716: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
../../dev/aic7xxx/aicasm_gram.y:717: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type
../../dev/aic7xxx/aicasm_gram.y:737: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.

The man page for TAILQ_LAST indicates that it only takes a single argument,
but editing the source code blindly, while getting rid of that particular
problem, just brought up a host of new compiler errors.

Of course I'd like to compile a non-generic kernel (file included at the
end of this mailing). In the documentation, (/usr/share/doc/handbook), it
says that 'pseudo-device log' is mandatory... yet when I run config on
my kernel config file, I get the error message
Warning: pseudo-device "log" is unknown

Also, if I try to set the line
config    kernel root on wd0

config    kernel root on sd0
or to
config    kernel root on sd0s1a

because I have a scsi hard drive, I get the error message
config: sd: unknown device
config: line 10: no root device specified

I'm running FreeBSD 2.2.6-RELEASE #0: Wed Mar25 ... if  this helps any.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

   David Packer

-=- config file I'm trying to use -=-
# An exhaustive list of options and more detailed explanations of the
# device lines is present in the ./LINT configuration file. If you are
# in doubt as to the purpose or necessity of a line, check first in LINT.

machine         "i386"
cpu             "I686_CPU"
options     "CPU_FASTER_5X86_FPU"
ident              MYKERNEL
config          kernel  root on wd0

maxusers    12

options         USERCONFIG              #boot -c editor
options         VISUAL_USERCONFIG       #visual boot -c editor
options     INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE
options         "COMPAT_43"             #Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options     "MD5"

# sys v
options         SYSVSHM
options     SYSVSEM
options     SYSVMSG

options     NSWAPDEV=4

options         FFS                     #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options         MFS                     #Memory Filesystem
options         NFS                     #Network Filesystem
options         PROCFS          #Process filesystem
options         "CD9660"                #ISO 9660 Filesystem

options     QUOTA

# hardware
controller  isa0
options     "AUTO_EOI_1"

controller  pci0
controller  pnp0

# floppy
controller      fdc0    at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector fdintr
disk        fd0 at fdc0 drive 0

# ide
options     "CMD640"
controller      wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 vector wdintr
controller      wdc1    at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15 vector wdintr
disk        wd0 at wdc0 drive 0
disk               wd1  at wdc0 drive 1 disable
disk               wd2  at wdc1 drive 0
disk               wd3  at wdc1 drive 1 disable

options         ATAPI           #Enable ATAPI support for IDE bus
options         ATAPI_STATIC    #Don't do it as an LKM

device      wcd0

# scsi
controller      ahc0
controller  scbus0 at ahc0
device      sd0

# console
device          sc0     at isa? port "IO_KBD" conflicts tty irq 1 vector scintr
options     UCONSOLE

# io
# ?

# ethernet
device xl0

# sound?
# device pcm0 at isa? port ? tty irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15 vector pcmintr
device pcm0 at isa? port ? tty irq 10 drq 1 flags 0x0 vector pcmintr

# math coprocessor
device          npx0    at isa? port "IO_NPX" irq 13 vector npxintr

# pseudo devices
pseudo-device  ether
pseudo-device  gzip
pseudo-device  log