Date:      Wed, 9 Sep 2015 11:01:08 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: static device numbering on arm6/FreeBSD11

On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 9:20 AM, John <freebsd-lists@potato.growveg.org>
wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> On i386/amd64 the kernel line:
>
> options         ATA_STATIC_ID   # Static device numbering
>
> means that I can reference a da device in fstab which stays constant
> through reboots. Is there an equivalent line for the RPI2 kernel?
> I've looked but can't see it. At the moment, they keep swapping
> round.

Your best bet is to use ufs or gpt labels.

# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump
Pass#

/dev/gpt/dune-swap      none            swap    sw              0       0

/dev/gpt/dune-root      /               ufs     rw              1       1

/dev/gpt/dune-dune      /dune           ufs     rw              2       2

/dev/gpt/dune-tmp       /tmp            ufs     rw              2       2

/dev/gpt/dune-usr       /usr            ufs     rw              2       2

/dev/gpt/dune-var       /var            ufs     rw              2       2

There may be ways to wire them with CAM, but this is what I've

been using for a long time.