Date:      Fri, 26 Dec 1997 23:46:47 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Nick Holshouser <nickh@ncnatural.com>, "Robert J. Lynn Jr." <root@techster.dyn.ml.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do you get pppd to save ip to file?

> On Thu, Dec 25, 1997 at 10:44:18PM -0500, Nick Holshouser wrote:
> > this works for me:
> > netstat -rn | tail -1 | awk '{print $2}' >  file
>
> That's mainly luck.  You're taking the last line of the netstat
> output, but you can't rely on the netstat output to be in any
> particular order.

Worse than that, it's in order based on the destination address.

> I didn't answer this question the first time round because I didn't
> understand it.  If you're just looking for the IP address of a
> specific interface, such as your end of your PPP link, you could do
> something like
>
>  # ifconfig ppp0 | grep inet | awk '{print $2}' > file
>
> Use 'tun0' instead of 'ppp0' if you're using user PPP.  If you have
> more than one link, of course, this sort of breaks down.
>
> > note: on my systems netstat nicely puts the line with my IP on the
> > bottom, so tail -1 works.
>
> Do you have a trick to ensure this?

I can't say for pppd, but with ppp, a simple

  ! /usr/local/bin/setIP MYADDR

will do the job.  Be careful, stdin, stdout and stderr are *not*
available to `setIP', and you *must* have '#! /bin/sh' or similar at
the top of `setIP'.  The script may, for example be:

  #! /bin/sh
  echo $1 >/tmp/myfile

You may alternatively want to use `!bg /usr/local/bin/setIP MYADDR'
so that ppp doesn't wait for the command to complete.

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;