Date:      Thu, 29 Jul 1999 12:48:23 +0100
From:      Adam Nealis <adamn@csl.com>
To:        support@junglenote.com
Cc:        "[FreeBSD-Questions-List] (E-post)" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: apache and modules

Dan Larsson wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I apologize for the off topic question and if this is the wrong list to ask.
>
> I'm trying to find resources on how I put together apache
> with mod_ssl + mod_perl + php/msyql on fbsd-3.2r but have come up
> with nothing so far. Someone willing to give me a few directions would
> be gratefully appreciated.
Well, I have exactly that, but on 2.2.7-STABLE. From my server-status:

Server Version: Apache/1.3.6 (Unix) mod_perl/1.19 mod_ssl/2.2.8 OpenSSL/0.9.2b PHP/3.0.11
Server Built: Apr 30 1999 17:41:35

You can't use the ports to it all because there isn't a port that does all those combinations, so I
recommend you do it something like this:

Install MySQL via the ports collection.

Install apache13-modssl via ports. IMO mod_ssl is the most complex part of your apache setup,
because it requires openSSL which you get (as a port) automagically if you install from the ports.
Also, it requires the most changes to your apache.conf so let the ports handle it!

Also, install and test apache + mod_ssl. Once that seems to work, you've solved most of the problems
you're going to have. For help in configuring mod_ssl, see
http://www.engelschall.com/sw/mod_ssl/docs/2.3/ssl_faq.html. This might time depending on what you
want to do with keys and certificates.

For the rest:

cd /usr/ports/distfiles
and grab

mod_perl-1.19.tar.gz
php-3.0.11.tar.gz

(you already have apache_1.3.6.tar.gz and mod_ssl-X-Y.tar.gz when you made apache + mod_ssl above).

What I did next was to step out of the ports system to add on the remaining apache modules.

mnkdir -p /usr/local/src/apache/modules
cd /usr/local/src/apache/
ln -s /usr/ports/www/apache13-modssl/work/apache_1.3.6
ln -s /usr/ports/distfiles/apache_1.3.6.tar.gz
cd modules
ln -s /usr/ports/distfiles/mod_perl-1.19.tar.gz
ln -s /usr/ports/distfiles/php-3.0.11.tar.gz
tar zvfx mod_perl-1.19.tar.gz
tar zvfx php-3.0.11.tar.gz

cd ../apache_1.3.6
you want to modify slightly your apache config, so the way to sdo that is to look at
./config.status - mine looks like this (note the activate-module bit for :

#!/bin/sh
##
##  config.status -- APACI auto-generated configuration restore script
##
##  Use this shell script to re-run the APACI configure script for
##  restoring your configuration. Additional parameters can be supplied.
##

CC="cc" \
OPTIM="-DHARD_SERVER_LIMIT=512  -DDEFAULT_PATH=\\\\\"/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin\\\\\"" \
CFLAGS="-O -pipe" \
TARGET="apache" \
SSL_BASE="SYSTEM" \
./configure \
"--target=apache" \
"--with-layout=GNU" \
"--activate-module=src/modules/perl/libperl.a" \
"--enable-module=ssl" \
"--enable-module=rewrite" \
"--bindir=/usr/local/bin" \
"--sbindir=/usr/local/sbin" \
"--libexecdir=/usr/local/libexec/apache" \
"--mandir=/usr/local/man" \
"--sysconfdir=/usr/local/etc/apache" \
"--datadir=/usr/local/share/apache" \
"--includedir=/usr/local/include/apache" \
"--localstatedir=/var" \
"--runtimedir=/var/run" \
"--logfiledir=/var/log" \
"--proxycachedir=/var/spool/apache" \
"--without-confadjust" \
"--enable-module=most" \
"--enable-module=auth_db" \
"--disable-module=auth_dbm" \
"--enable-module=ssl" \
"--enable-module=rewrite" \
"--enable-module=define" \
"--enable-shared=max" \
"$@"

Now do mod_perl
===============

cd ../modules/mod_perl-1.19

[See INSTALL.apaci - you might need to install the perl LWP stuff for make test to work, this is in
/usr/ports/www/p5-ParallelUA.]

perl Makefile.PL  \
     APACHE_PREFIX=../../ \
     APACHE_SRC=../apache-1.3.X/src \
     DO_HTTPD=1 \
     USE_APACI=1 \
     EVERYTHING=1
make && make test && make install

Now do mod_php3
===============

cd ../php-3.0.11

./configure --with-mysql --with-apxs=/usr/local/sbin/apxs \
 --with-config-file-path=/usr/local/etc/apache
make && make install
cp php3.ini-dist /usr/local/etc/apache/php3.ini

If you want to play with PHP3 settings,

vi /usr/local/etc/apache/php3.ini

Also, you need to hack in a couple of lines to allow for PHP3 to work (See INSTALL.DSO, step 3). A
simple test to see if mod_php3 is working is to create file foo.php3 containing only

<?phpinfo()?>

then look at it in a browser.

Rebuild Apache so it knows about mod_perl

cd ../../apache_1.3.6
sh config.status
make && make install

Restart apache with