Date:      Mon, 6 Oct 1997 07:52:32 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: devfs / cdevsw

> > Unless you want the code to be portable to archaic pre-ANSI compilers,
>
> We (FreeBSD) have decided some time ago that we don't want.

This is fine for FreeBSD itself.  I suppose.

> FreeBSD
> doesn't compile on a non-ANSI compiler anymore anyway, and there's no
> good reason to hold back things like string splitting forever just for
> the sake of no longer used C compilers.

However, user tools and so on (general user space code) should probably
be protable to other OS's, including old Xenix boxes with non-ANSI
compilers.

I don't mean that the kerneitself should be, but in general, it is
a mistake toartifically restrict your market for nothing more than
religious reasons.  Unless your goals are religious...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.