Date:      Tue, 05 Nov 1996 08:57:50 -0800
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        src@NS.Contrib.Com
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: innd can't malloc - why?

In article <199611051250.NAA11668@NS.Contrib.Com> src@NS.Contrib.Com write:
> maybe i'm a little ignorant, but my innd lately vanishes very often
> our of the blue (i.e. not during expire) telling me
>
>   Nov  5 07:52:15 news innd: ME cant remalloc 8392960 bytes Cannot allocate memory
>
> i recently upgraded the machine to 128MB RAM (yes, i have the
> 'options "MAXMEM=131072"' in the kernel) and 300MB swap,
> which should be enough!

Check your "ulimit" values, and make sure that they're not too low.  From
sh or bash, type "ulimit -a".  From csh, type "limit".  Obviously, you
have to do this in the same context your innd process is started in.

You can increase these limits from "/etc/profile" or ".profile" in the
home directory (for sh).  See your shell's manual page for details.

John