Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 20:26:05 -0400
From:      "Matt Rudderham" <matt@researcher.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Question about MAKEDEV bpf devices

HI,
I have a problem? with bpf.
When I run vertain application which use the bpf whether is be tcpdump to
monitor traffic on an interface or nmap to scan a node, lately I've been
getting bpf4 device not found, or today bpf5 device not found.
I don't get these everytime, but just lately, when I got the message bpf4, I
didn't think much of it, I went to /dev and did ./MAKEDEV bpf4 and it worked
no prob, then today it happend with bpf5 again, this worked, but I suspect
there is something going on which is tying up devices bpf0 - bpf3 which were
initially created. Is there anyway to check if something is hogging them? I
took a look at the running processes, and nothing popped out, should I look
closer? Any help would be appreciated, Thanks in advance.
- Matthew Rudderham