Date:      Thu, 5 Apr 2007 10:29:33 +0100 (BST)
From:      "kelvin woods" <kelvin@zednaught.net>
To:        "Victor Engmark" <victor.engmark@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Should sudo be used?

On Thu, April 5, 2007 09:42, Victor Engmark wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I thought it would be a good idea to use sudo on my FreeBSD laptop,
> but I'm
> having doubts after checking the handbook (it's not mentioned at all)
> and
> Google (most of the articles were obscure and / or old).
>
> Are you using sudo? If not, why?

I personally don't use sudo. From my perspective the only real
advantage to using it is that it is possible to provide a fine-grained
access to limited functions that would normally only be available to
the root account. Thus, if you require more than one "normal" account
to perform some aspect of system maintenance it is possible to do this
via the sudoers file. As I'm the sole maintainer of /my/ systems I
don't feel the need to utilize sudo. Instead I have a separate local
account on each system added to the wheel group and use that to su to
the root account to perform system maintainance. Therefore, I don't
use my normal everyday account when performing system maintainance.

--
kelvin