Date:      Wed, 7 Dec 2005 15:49:27 -0600
From:      Eric F Crist <ecrist@secure-computing.net>
To:        Charles Howse <chowse@charter.net>
Cc:        questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: sendmail local-host-names

On Dec 6, 2005, at 10:35 AM, Charles Howse wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to collect mail for FreeBSD user charles on my Mac.
>
> The hostname of my FreeBSD box is:
> moe.local
>
> User charles has an account, has been added to the qpopper
> authentication
> database, and sendmail_enable="NO" is in /etc/rc.conf.
>
> In /etc/mail/local-host-names, I have:
> moe.local
> larry.local
> local
>
> It's working, but I think I have too many entries in local-host-names.
> What entries are necessary?

Are you sure you don't also need curly.local in there?  Haha!

You shouldn't really need any of those in there, unless mail is
addressed to them.  For example, if you only receive mail on that box
for x@moe.local, and the machine's name is moe.local, you don't even
need a local-host-names file.  The only entries needed are those for
which you accept mail, that are not the actual hostname for the box.

Make sense?
-----
Eric F Crist
Secure Computing Networks